Friday, January 29, 2010

New Life

What an exciting gift! As I opened the small Christmas gift, shock and utter delight were experienced simultaneously. The attractive picture frame contained a photograph of our daughter, Grace, and her husband, E. J., holding a hand painted sign which read, "We're Expecting." That brought back memories of the box holding my old Teddy Bear (Ted) opened by my dad during the Christmas of 1978 announcing the expectation of his and my mom's first grandchild. But I drift into nostalgia.

Since Christmas I have had a little bit of time to reflect and think about what is headed our way. I hold with great anticipation the joy of holding that new life for the first time. There's the first smile from recognizing the arrival of "that old balding guy who is going to give me whatever I want." I look forward to hearing, "Pappa D" (or whatever I might be called by this one) for the first time. I can't wait for that first time he/she cries when Zannie and I leave.

As much fun as all that will be, I far more look forward to the phone call saying, "Guess what, Poppa D. I asked Jesus to come into my heart today." I look forward to that call from all of my grand children but back to the newest addition. My heart is so light because I know that this baby's dad and mom love Jesus. They serve Him and they both have a great desire for their children to spend eternity with them (and us) in heaven.

They will take this precious gift, of which they are only stewards, to Sunday School and church each week. They recognize that this child does not belong to them but to God; He only loans our children to us for a while. We are just called to take the best possible care of them while we have them and the most loving thing we can do is point them to Jesus.

No doubt they are already praying for this little miracle as are Pappa D and Mamma Zannie. They are probably even praying for the spouse, born or unborn, who will someday steal a heart and become a part of our family. This is the way it should be when the love of God reigns supreme in a family.

I am grateful beyond expression that our prayers and instruction for so many years bear fruit before our eyes. And life continues; life on earth and life eternal.

1 comment:

  1. Soooo...I tried to read this aloud to my hubby, but my tears held me up. I love you so much and can't wait for our little one to meet you.

    ReplyDelete