Wednesday, January 6, 2010

For the "Directionally Challenged"

Who among us has not gone on a trip, regardless of the length, and realized that we were, if only momentarily, "directionally challenged?" A trip is one thing but life and eternity are completely others. This morning as I was enjoying my devotional time, I read a devotion from Michael Cloer of Englewood Baptist Church in Rocky Mount, NC from the One Year Devotional Prayer Book compiled by Pastor Johnny Hunt. Let me share that with you here followed by some brief thoughts of my own.

As a basis for his devotion, Cloer used Psalm 119:59: "I thought about my ways, and turned my feet to Your testimonies."

"Have you ever been traveling on a journey and realized you may not be going in the right direction? At that moment you have two choices: turn around or continue traveling and hope that you will eventually arrive at the right destination. The psalmist tells us four steps to follow when traveling on life's journey. We begin with concentration. He says, 'I thought.' One thing our Enemy does not want us to do is to stop and think about the direction we are traveling. He surrounds us with thousands of amusements in order to keep us from thinking.

"His thought led to a culmination. He says, 'I thought about my ways.' Have you taken the time to be quiet and ask, 'Where is this path taking me?'

"Once he discovered he was heading in the wrong direction, he made a correction in his journey. He said he turned his feet. Here is the point of decision, the crossroads. Ask yourself, 'Am I determined to keep going in the wrong direction knowing the destination is not good, or am I going to turn around?'

"Finally, the psalmist did not make his decision based on man's philosphy, but according 'to Your testimonies.' His only consideration was the Word of God."

Now I can't speak for you but I know that there was a time when I was headed in the wrong direction (spiritualy speaking) and God moved in such a way that there most certainly was some concentration, many weeks worth. It led to a culmination of all of my false beliefs being challenged and at that point I chose to make a correction. It was for sure from the consideration of I John 5:13 helping me to understand that I could KNOW if I was headed in the right direction or not.

If your "traveling" has not brought you to the point of concentration, culmination, and correction by consideration, let me encourage you to do that right now. This is a very valid thought for today... and I wouldn't wait until tomorrow to do it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment