Monday, February 8, 2010

"Locked Out"

As I was relaxing in front of the TV, I received a phone call from one of my Sunday School teachers with some terrible news; his mother had just passed away. I immediately contacted others who needed to know and headed to the nursing home where she had been being cared for since she had broken her hip a few weeks prior.

I went to the main entrance and by a sign on the door, I was informed to go to the "West Entrance." Well, I did; I rang the bell, buzzed the intercom button, and knocked on the door. No entrance there. I went a few yards to the East entrance and discovered the same sign as the one posted on the main entrance but I ran that bell, buzzed that intercom button, and knocked on that door but again to no avail. I was there to minister and the people on the inside were just ignoring me! To my confusion and frustration, none of my efforts would get me in.

As I stepped away from the door, an aid walked out of the main entrance door and I told her why I was there-to minister to one of my friends and asked if she could help me get in. Her reply was, Sure, I can get you in but he just left." I thanked her and got back in my car.

As I drove home I began to think about his mom being in heaven. Her works, as good and numerous as I am sure they were, would not get her in. There was only one way to get into heaven; a person, the Person of Jesus Christ. I was again reminded that it's nothing but Him and Him alone that will get any one though the gates of heaven. Then I asked myself a question, "Am I offering to help everyone I can to get into heaven; am I introducing them to the one Person who can bring them in?"

Thank you, young lady, for being used by God to open my eyes to an eternal truth. It's something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment