Thursday, February 18, 2010

God's Plan for Holiness

I am reading 66 Love Letters. It is a book written by Dr. Larry Crabb in quite a unique format; it is a dailogue between the author and God about the reason for God "writing" each of the 66 books of the Bible and how Christ is central in each book. In a recent chapter, I was taken by the following quote (God speaking):
"You ask what will work to make your life better, to correct the injustice you suffer, to see to it that more things go as they should in your life. I want you to ask what holiness would look like in your situation, whatever it is; holiness that might not right the wrongs you suffer but that would let us enjoy each other."

I couldn't help but think of what we as American Christians view as "injustice" in our lives; someone cutting in front of us getting "our" parking space, or when we get home discovering an incorrect charge from the department store, or how about gas prices going up 5 cents per gallon on our way back from dinner out and we have to pay an additional $1.50-$2.00 on a fill-up.

Is God really concerned about those sort of things? I am not sure He is or is not but I do know that there are true injustices by anybody's standards in our world-genuine persecution, government graft, physical and sexual abuse of children, and on I could go. I am reminded that God wants deep, personal, and intimate relationship with us; and He made a way for us to have realtionship with Him.

Simply put, He wants us to be more like Him in order to fellowship better with Him; through His Son is the only way. Jesus, Himself, said it well, "I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life; no one comes to the Father except through me (emphasis added)" (John 14:6).

Not to minimize what many go through but God far more wants us holy rather than happy! It's just a thought for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment